As you can see in this "before" picture, there are several ribs on the body that hold 2-3 of the posts each while other posts are attached to the body directly.
Removing the ribs revealed holes in the body tube, where the posts must have been attached originally. The original posts were soft soldered on the ribs, we decided to hard solder them for added strength.
We are not sure if Buescher installed the ribs or if he received the horn like this, but we know that they were added at some point. Either way, he must have liked the ribs and we decided to restore #36 to the state it was in when he owned it, so we will fix the ribs and the posts and keep both. The holes in the body will again be hidden under the ribs after the ribs are soldered back on.
At this point we have removed all of the posts and cleaned them up.
Of course, this old instrument had tons of stuck screws and broken springs, so we used this technique to remove them with alum.